Thread: Some recent thoughts on the state of METAL in 2012. What are yours?

Red face Some recent thoughts on the state of METAL in 2012. What are yours?

With the start of 2012 already in full swing I've been currently reflecting on several aspects of my life (ie. my health,life changes, my family/relationships etc etc..) and have come to realize that one of the most constant and reliable things in it has been Metal music. Its been close to 20 years since I've been listening to this form of auditory pleasure in one way or another and I can't help but think on how much (good and bad) it has brought to my life and how it has changed the way I view parts of myself and the world around me.

With that being said I have been thinking a lot about the current state of Metal and what it has slowly evolved into. Metal today is probably the most popular its been since the 80's with bands reaching "the charts" with more frequency, worldwide acceptance in mainstream culture (Hell even hipsters and indie fruitcakes are into it nowadays), feature films and documentaries (The Story of Anvil, Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Hesher etc etc..). The ability for bands to tour on this side of the globe when in past years they would never had gotten the chance because of lack of label support, the popularity of Metal festivals not only in Europe but now in the U.S. with MDF, Gathering of the Bestial Legion, CIM, 70000 of Metal and others. The involvement of major companies like Scion with the Scion Fest and all the shows they put on and a wider acceptance by major venues like HOB to host Metal shows. Come to think about it, its a pretty good time to be a Metalhead these days.

On the flipside one can't help but notice that a lot of what people call Metal these days is utter crap I wouldnt touch with a 10-foot pole. A lot of the bands and music being churned out left and right is unoriginal and emotionless. It is more concerned with fashion and image than with creative riffs and memorable anthems. So much of what kids (old fart voice) listen to nowadays is so watered down,tepid and soulless. Its hard for me to find new bands have any of that spark that would get my heart racing.... memories of listening to Dismember's Like an Ever Flowing Stream for the first time and headbanging nonstop because you couldnt help but feel the music.

Thankfully the old guard is still there. Bands like Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, Unleashed and others still put out great albums and awesome live performances. Do I wish there were more unique and talented new Metal bands coming up through the ranks:Yes sure it would be nice, Do I need them to renew my faith in Metal: Nope, Metal is in my DNA and will only go away the day I die...

What are your thoughts on this?
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar

I bought less albums in 2011 than since I was in my early teens NOT because it was a bad year for metal & other types of music but rather because I'd rather spent money on my family ALSO why bother with the new ROOT CD when I can just play something from my vast library that is way better? As for shows,again,VERY few.Plenty of great bands played the Bay Area but going into the city is expensive and I'd rather spent said money on other things.

Metal has always been my fave kind of music & that will never change but my priorities have.The same could be said about comic books,still love em,but I'm not spending $50+ dollars a week on new books and I doubt I ever will.I find myself re-reading old books in my collection.

This too is the first year I did NOT do a TOP ALBUMS OF THE YEAR LIST as I feel I did not hear enough new albums THAT said;the new BURZUM,VIRUS,TAYLOR SWIFT albums were all great & JUDAS PRIEST was as mighty as ever in Concord,CA a few months ago.

What am I excited about 2012 HARD ROCK/METAL wise:

New RUSH album
    New RUSH tour
    VAN HALEN
    THE WHO tour
    THE ROLLING STONES @ 50 (!!!)
    MEGADETH w/ MOTORHEAD next month
    A few shows in Oakland .

Great thread! and YES on DISMEMBER! \m/
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Having my Comrade Vince Overlord ( one of the few humans I would ever call a friend ) in San Francisco in November was great fun and certainly a highlight of 2011.

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Just looking forward to upcoming Liturgy albums and tours!

Quote Originally Posted by alfredbastardHuete View Post
    Having my Comrade Vince Overlord ( one of the few humans I would ever call a friend ) in San Francisco in November was great fun and certainly a highlight of 2011.
    Agreed. Vince is among the very few I would call a real friend of mine in San Diego. I cannot praise him enough. Cheers Vince, if you are reading this.

Administrator ModeratorSite Admin Incantation_Goat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent post Israel. I pretty much agree with all that you've said. I have had ups and downs with metal but I pretty much have it to thank for many of the good things in my life. I do feel a bit less excited for new releases and shows, but that's because they are getting a bit more on the rare side. I do enjoy metal very much when I see a great show and am joined with some great friends.

killer post, Israel. \m/ - i made this channel Dedicated to Metal in Movies!!! \m/ http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL381FFED873FBC6FF

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypticVision View Post
    killer post, Israel. \m/ - i made this channel Dedicated to Metal in Movies!!! \m/ http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL381FFED873FBC6FF
    Cool. But you're missing Armored Saint in Hellraiser III. Malice was in some movie too, but I don't remember what the title was.

Registered Metalhead EyeChartBrew's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great post Israel, indeed!

But I think you're only concentrating on one side of the metal scene. The "Hot Topic / Mallcore / I-hate-my-dad-but-I-cry-when-no-one-is-looking-so-I'm-really-sensitive-too-so-please-buy-a-thong-with-my-band's-name-on-it" "screamo verse + melodic chorus" "tough guy + hiphop" shit that gets most of the mainstream attention.

Just below the radar, there's a ton of great things going on -- and no, I'm not talking about the latest "New Wave of Old School Swedish Death Metal" groups who only juss now figured out that there was extreme metal before At The Gates. Nor am I talking about the 1,001 Thrasher-come-lately acts rehashing all of the wrong things about German and/or Bay Area Thrash Metal (and Crossover).

If I had to point to only one underground act that epitomizes what is truly good about the future of metal as we know and love it, I would say look to Vektor. I too cried foul at the obvious Voivod logo ripoff -- and the fact that they owe their vibe to "Killing Technology". But on a deeper level, what they are doing in 2011/2012 is akin to what the Greats were doing in their heyday: taking the building blocks of the very best of what came before them, and building new and interesting things for the future in their own special way.

And there are many other acts of the same mindset.

The only time I've ever been somewhat concerned about the future of metal was back in the very early `90s. Thrash Metal was stale, Power and Progressive Metal was primarily an European-only thing, The Big Four were wandering lost in the wilderness, chest-thumping shite like Biohazard was competing against Grunge Rock for airtime, and Death Metal (as I foolishly perceived it at the time) was nothing but crude schlock from the likes of Obituary. I later rectified this error, about the same time that the Internet came alive for the masses, and things were perhaps not as doom & gloom as I had feared ca. 1990.

As such, with so many groups in the Underground, and the Internet, there's going to be a lot of shit floating around. But, at the same time, great things that might have fallen through the cracks before -- we all have our favorite "if these guys had put out more than this one cassette demo tape, they would have changed the world!" band from 'way back when' -- now can be shared and appreciated the world `round. All very cool, all very exciting.

That kind of energy gives me hope for more Vektor's rising to the top of the metal world as we know it now, and in the future.

//TB
    Last edited by EyeChartBrew; 01-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    ...hanging out with all of my spock rocker snobby buddies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfredbastardHuete View Post
    Metal has always been my fave kind of music & that will never change but my priorities have.The same could be said about comic books,still love em,but I'm not spending $50+ dollars a week on new books and I doubt I ever will.I find myself re-reading old books in my collection.
    Agreed, on both fronts.

(Slightly Off-topic: I only do graphic novels these days. Easier to get a bound chunk of comic books with a consolidated storyline, than to hit the comic store on a weekly-ish basis. Who has time for that these days?)

//TB

Registered Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by EyeChartBrew View Post
    I would say look to Vektor. I too cried foul at the obvious Voivod logo ripoff -- and the fact that they owe their vibe to "Killing Technology".
    On New Year's Day, a friend recommended that I give them another try, when I first listened I wasn't really paying attention [though I quite enjoyed the Voivod-worship logo]. Gave them another listen just now, excellent!

Musically, like Voivod meshed bit a mit of Mekong Delta, with their own style(s) as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aborted_Nazarene View Post
    On New Year's Day, a friend recommended that I give them another try, when I first listened I wasn't really paying attention [though I quite enjoyed the Voivod-worship logo]. Gave them another listen just now, excellent!

Musically, like Voivod meshed bit a mit of Mekong Delta, with their own style(s) as well.
    Not to wander too far off-topic, but I have always lumped Mekong Delta with the likes of Watchtower. Some supreme skill prevalent, sure. But with Watchtower, too much emphasis on technical wizardry and not enough emphasis on song writing. Mekong Delta? Too much emphasis on trying to use brute force to wedge classical elements into every nook and crany, at the expense of the song writing.

Unfair generalities? Probably.

With Vektor, I'm hearing "Killing Technology", mid-career Coroner, "Screams and Whispers"-era Anacrusis, and maybe some of the smart-but-not-pretentious bits of Hades.

Plus their own thing, too.

//TB

Also,new KISS album due later this year!

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Not to wander too far off-topic, but I have always lumped Mekong Delta with the likes of Watchtower. Some supreme skill prevalent, sure. But with Watchtower, too much emphasis on technical wizardry and not enough emphasis on song writing. Mekong Delta? Too much emphasis on trying to use brute force to wedge classical elements into every nook and crany, at the expense of the song writing.

Unfair generalities? Probably.

With Vektor, I'm hearing "Killing Technology", mid-career Coroner, "Screams and Whispers"-era Anacrusis, and maybe some of the smart-but-not-pretentious bits of Hades.

Plus their own thing, too.

//TB

i'm still trying to get around to hearing that new vektor...black future was excellent, and i have high hopes for this one...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frank_zito View Post
    i'm still trying to get around to hearing that new vektor...black future was excellent, and i have high hopes for this one...
    Do it. Seriously.

//TB

Agreed, on both fronts.

(Slightly Off-topic: I only do graphic novels these days. Easier to get a bound chunk of comic books with a consolidated storyline, than to hit the comic store on a weekly-ish basis. Who has time for that these days?)

//TB
    Same here ALSO I buy LOTS on eBay GREAT deals! I got HUGE runs of The Avengers and Justice League Of America ( 100+ issues SILVER & BRONZE runs ) for a tiny fraction of the price of new comic books. Almost ALL comic book conventions have TPB & GN for 5 bucks each EVEN the pricey 29.95 ones! I also dig the library.

I'll buy some of the DC NEW 52 @ COMIC CONS this summer.Have you read any yet? Are you more of a DC or MARVEL man? Any indies? I like CEREBUS.

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by frank_zito View Post
    Obviously I have got to hear this Vektor shit. Coroner and Anacrusis references are more than enough to sell me on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredbastardHuete
    If Nimrod wants to get baked so be it !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiMRoD420 View Post
    Obviously I have got to hear this Vektor shit. Coroner and Anacrusis references are more than enough to sell me on it.
    Good write-up at my bud's site here:
    http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012...ter-isolation/

//TB

Since you guys are on the subject...

"Bolstered by the overwhelming response to their latest offering, Vektor now prepare to hit the road for a string of dates down the West Coast. Dates are as follows:

February
    8 - Albuquerque, NM - Launch Pad (with Torture Victim)
    9 - Denver, CO - Blastomat (all ages) (with Speedwolf)
    10 - Grand Junction, CO - Tenacious Brothers (with Existance, Exussum)
    11 - Salt Lake City, UT - Burt’s Tiki Lounge (with Dethblo, Castle Axe)
    12 - Boise, ID - The Shredder (with Latimer, Krystos)
    13 - Portland, OR - East End (with Wizard Rifle, Order of the Gash, DJ Nate C)
    14 - Seattle, WA - Funhouse (with Breag, Naofa, Theories, Addura)
    15 - Portland, OR - Backspace (all ages) (with Spellcaster, Transient, Theories, Night Nurse)
    16 - Eugene, OR - The Lazarus Pit (house show – all ages) (with Elohim, Arkhum)
    17 - Arcata, CA - Alibi
    18 - San Francisco, CA - Rockit Room (with Absu, Battlemaster, Brainoil, Infernal Stronghold)
    19 - Los Angeles, CA - Echo (all ages – 5pm) (with Exmortus, Witchaven) "
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Administrator ModeratorSite Admin Incantation_Goat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh killer. That may be a cool road trip.

Its weird how good vektor is, considering how young they are and hot on the heels of this thrash revival stuff. They shine through all that shit for sure. I really dig em.

well tell u what ...i think u guys are cutie pies! i really do ! speacial you gutz ! ive always wanted to be ur groupie!

METAL HUH! lol lol ah hahaha! haha!
    HORNS UP FELLAS!Damage jackals ripping right through you
    sight and smell of this, it gets me goin'
    Know just how to get just what we want
    tear it from your soul in nightly hunt
    Fuck it all and fucking no regrets
    Never happy endings on these dark sets
    All's fair for Damage Inc. you see
    step a little closer if you please

Blood will follow blood
    Dying time is here
    Damage IncorporatedSee More
    go head...take a shot! go for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8l0pY_O7ww

HERE EAT THIS! LOL HAHAHA! TRY THAT! ..
    Last edited by julez; 01-12-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ADDITION
    go head...take a shot! go for it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71LVqMqywpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	124  

I just realized I haven't listened to any new metal in over 2 years... hhmmm
    Death won't get me alive!