Thread: Best bands to ever come out of San Diego ( METAL or NOT )

Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar

Default Best bands to ever come out of San Diego ( METAL or NOT )

Here is one of the very best,saw em endless times,that whole garage punk scene of the early 1980's was a hoot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHLXh...eature=related

YOUR turn...
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Administrator ModeratorSite Admin Incantation_Goat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty good band.

For me it would probably be Psychotic Waltz but I really like Sentinel too.

For me that's easy.... Three Mile Pilot.

For metal.... early Damnation.

Quote Originally Posted by humanjerky View Post
    For me that's easy.... Three Mile Pilot.

For metal.... early Damnation.
    I never understood why you like em so much NOT saying they were awful or anything just kinda boring IMO saw em many times ( pin panther,soma,casbah,headquarters,ETC ) as my best friend at the time was a huge fan.

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

rocket from the crypt

one of my buddies was obsessed with den of thieves in the mid-nineties but i don't remember what they sound like

Quote Originally Posted by alfredbastardHuete View Post
    I never understood why you like em so much NOT saying they were awful or anything just kinda boring IMO saw em many times ( pin panther,soma,casbah,headquarters,ETC ) as my best friend at the time was a huge fan.
    There's not a single band on earth that sounds anything like them. Not many bands can pull off being bass guitar driven, the dudes insane at the 4 string. I don't even think they had guitar at first and you could barely even tell. There's just not another band on earth like em anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_zito View Post
    one of my buddies was obsessed with den of thieves in the mid-nineties but i don't remember what they sound like
    Pretty sure they were grunge but could be wrong. Good Call on RFTC although it would never be my choice. There's a huge population in SD and especially elsewhere that would agree with you though. Quite literally, people all over the world look at them as gods.

Pretty sure they were grunge but could be wrong. Good Call on RFTC although it would never be my choice. There's a huge population in SD and especially elsewhere that would agree with you though. Quite literally, people all over the world look at them as gods.
    Gods? They never even charted ONCE they have a small cult following.Never liked em AT ALL not my kinda music AT ALL.

Here you go: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ay-up-20120606

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by alfredbastardHuete View Post
    Gods? They never even charted ONCE they have a small cult following.Never liked em AT ALL not my kinda music AT ALL.

Here you go: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ay-up-20120606

Neither has Deicide. PLENTY of people around the world look at Glenn Benton as a god. I stood there talking to him in an Arizona parking lot once and a kid came up freaking out saying over and over "Glenn Benton you are my god." Take it or leave it butthole.

That new Three Mile Pilot song kinda sucks. Bummer. At least I have everything else they've done.

didn't chart=no good

yeah who cares if a band charts?

Registered Metalhead EyeChartBrew's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah who cares if a band charts?
    Alf is obsessed with record charts. Apparently anything that does not "chart" doesn't merit attention AT ALL..., or some other happy horse shit.

//TB
    ...hanging out with all of my spock rocker snobby buddies.

Gehenna (the hardcore band) is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeChartBrew View Post
    Alf is obsessed with record charts. Apparently anything that does not "chart" doesn't merit attention AT ALL..., or some other happy horse shit.

//TB
    I did not mean it that way OF COURSE sales don't always determine the merit of a recording.YEA I like charts.

www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Not necessarily the "best" but SD bands that are still active that I enjoy checking out:

Slightly Stoopid, have always dug this song, and cool to see a reggae legend collaborating on it...also it means a bit more due to the fact I went to high school with them, my brother was their original drummer, and I played keys and toured with them for a while in the late 90's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XCU_Wv0ekA

Opus Majestic, just a big fan fan of the uplifting melodies and passionate screams... (why else would I play drums for them?) and like a fine wine, just getting better over time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_ybTL3MFQ

Registered Metalhead EyeChartBrew's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frank_zito View Post
    rocket from the crypt
    ^ This.

Plus I'd like to throw some props toward Natasha's Ghost -- a band I saw play over on the Navy Amphibious Base on the Silver Strand in 1993 (when I was still in the process of transferring out to San Diego from podunk Pensacola FL). Great band live.

//TB
    ...hanging out with all of my spock rocker snobby buddies.

I worked for a dude (for quite a few years) in construction who's nephew played in Rocket from the Crypt, he would go to their shows and hang backstage and such, would like to see them someday if they're still active....

This is a cat, not a local, but he's been here a few years or more... been checking him the past couple years at your local cafe... Justin Werner, my favorite musical rat I see frequenly in SD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfHCq...&feature=share

The Neighbors were a great punk band, If you were lucky enough to have seen them.

Also, Early Sprung Monkey? anybody......

And this might be a stretch as he wasnt born here but Tom Waits certainly comes to mind.
    Last edited by TheWolf; 06-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.