Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Thurston Moore joins Black Metal Supergroup!YES "Supergroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

  1. #1
    Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TAYLOR SWIFT'S SWEET BUTT!
    Posts
    28,010

    Talking Thurston Moore joins Black Metal Supergroup!YES "Supergroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...light-20120731

    HA!HA!HA! "SUPERGROUP?" HA!HA!HA!

    Don't you have to have SOME success to be considered SUPER????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    LOLz aside MIGHT be interesting,as I'm a fan of both Sonic Youth and black metal,OK back to laughing at calling a bunch of no name losers ( ALL except,Thurston ) SUPERGROUP worthy!!!!!!
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

    www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

  2. #2
    Administrator ModeratorSite Admin Incantation_Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    City Heights
    Posts
    8,851
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    That really caught me off guard. I will give it a try. He may be a breath of fresh air for a currently stale genre.

  3. #3
    Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TAYLOR SWIFT'S SWEET BUTT!
    Posts
    28,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Incantation_Goat View Post
    That really caught me off guard. I will give it a try. He may be a breath of fresh air for a currently stale genre.
    It's what I was thinking.He is an interesting man,always open to trying new things,some SONIC YOUTH albums are amazing.
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

    www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

  4. #4

    Default

    Hmmm... first I'm hearing of this news. It's odd but not much of a surprise.

    Back in late 04/05 when they first formed/recorded, Twilight was being boasted as a "black metal supergroup". Whenever Twilight gets mainstream promotion they will have this title attached to them. It is a bit ironic of a way to describe Twilight. Although, you do (or did) have the masterminds of several well known USBM bands working together (Leviathan, Nachtmystium, Krieg, Xasthur)

    I thought the first Twilight was good. Very memorable and strong! I think this band was better of when Malefic (Xasthur) was contributing. The second release was not so good. Plain and bland. Not too much to bring you back. Lets see what comes of the third album. II don't know much about SY but I'm interested to hear what this will bring to the band and where it will end up going...

    Personally, I wish Wrest would just focus on more Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice and not even delay his time with this, supergroup!

  5. #5
    Registered Metalhead EyeChartBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,220
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    "Supergroups" almost never live up to what I would call "super".

    "Super hype", perhaps, but rarely amounting to much of anything.

    //TB
    ...hanging out with all of my spock rocker snobby buddies.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DARK-USURPER View Post
    Personally, I wish Wrest would just focus on more Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice and not even delay his time with this, supergroup!

    HA... I totally agree.

    This should be great though. The only thing that might make it better would be to either switch out Thurston with Lee Ranaldo as I think he's the one who is the most dissonant and grating sounding stuff in all the SY catalog. A good way to tell is to A/B Lee's solo output to Thurston's... Lee's is all harsh, noisy and lush walls of sound whereas Thurston does alot of playing behind the bridge and much less grating ambient noise. They have the perfect style to switch calmly over to this american black metal and have it make alot of sense. Still though, Thurston knows what he's doing and will be an awesome collaborator. The entire SY discography rules although I'll admit I kinda fell off after Washing Machine years ago which was the same time they got all their instruments and gear stolen - that was like 20-25 years of modifications, custom work and an embarrassing amount of hard to find/ancient/one of a kind effects pedals. All stolen at the same time and never recovered I believe. After that, I just felt they weren't the same but still much better than alot of crap out there.

  7. #7
    Administrator ModeratorSite Admin Incantation_Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    City Heights
    Posts
    8,851
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by humanjerky View Post
    I kinda fell off after Washing Machine years ago which was the same time they got all their instruments and gear stolen - that was like 20-25 years of modifications, custom work and an embarrassing amount of hard to find/ancient/one of a kind effects pedals. All stolen at the same time and never recovered I believe. After that, I just felt they weren't the same but still much better than alot of crap out there.
    Wow, that is horrible. It sounds like their equipment was a huge part of their sound.

  8. #8

    Default

    Didn't really catch me off guard considering the press in recent years about Thurston Moore's obsession with black metal.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Incantation_Goat View Post
    Wow, that is horrible. It sounds like their equipment was a huge part of their sound.
    Yep. Like 80% of it if you ask me... One pedal that got snagged Lee Ranaldo offered my friend who used to be in Upsilon Acrux like $2000 or some crazy shit for it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap View Post
    Didn't really catch me off guard considering the press in recent years about Thurston Moore's obsession with black metal.
    Oddly enough, I ran into him at Amoebas in SF in like 97 or so and we were both looking through the experimental section and got to talking. He mentioned how much he was into black metal back then. I thought it was funny he brought that up. Later that day I saw him play in front of over 100,000 people at the Tibetan Freedom Concert. Crazy shit.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by humanjerky View Post
    Oddly enough, I ran into him at Amoebas in SF in like 97 or so and we were both looking through the experimental section and got to talking. He mentioned how much he was into black metal back then. I thought it was funny he brought that up. Later that day I saw him play in front of over 100,000 people at the Tibetan Freedom Concert. Crazy shit.
    That's pretty bad ass!!

  12. #12

    Default

    One of those "wait til the boys get a load of this one" moments for sure. Such a down to earth dude. He told me Lee was over at the bookstore across the street so I went over there and said hi... he wasn't so approachable. I had to fanboy out. That man can make a guitar sound like the holocaust.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by humanjerky View Post
    One of those "wait til the boys get a load of this one" moments for sure. Such a down to earth dude. He told me Lee was over at the bookstore across the street so I went over there and said hi... he wasn't so approachable. I had to fanboy out. That man can make a guitar sound like the holocaust.
    Great story!

  14. #14
    Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TAYLOR SWIFT'S SWEET BUTT!
    Posts
    28,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by humanjerky View Post
    One of those "wait til the boys get a load of this one" moments for sure. Such a down to earth dude. He told me Lee was over at the bookstore across the street so I went over there and said hi... he wasn't so approachable. I had to fanboy out. That man can make a guitar sound like the holocaust.
    YEA he is a likable man,has a sort of calmness about him that calmed me down.
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

    www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

  15. #15
    Registered Metalhead alfredbastardHuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TAYLOR SWIFT'S SWEET BUTT!
    Posts
    28,010

    Default

    Why bother with a bunch of little to no talent dorks?

    SONIC YOUTH > ALL USBM

    NORWEGIAN BM > SONIC YOUTH
    "Curiouser and Curiouser" - Alice

    www.cuteoverload.com
    www.met-art.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •